Valleywise Health Medical Center is a part of the Valleywise Health, which includes the Comprehensive Healthcare Center (CHC), the McDowell Healthcare Clinic, 13 community-oriented family health centers, and two Behavioral Health Centers. The 679-bed hospital is located near the heart of downtown Phoenix and has a proud tradition of being part of the community safety net health care system with a commitment to serving the underserved and is Arizona’s only public teaching hospital. The medical center includes the only Level I Trauma Center in Arizona to care for both adults and children, the Refugee Women’s Health Clinic and Arizona’s only nationally verified Burn Center serving the entire Southwestern United States.
The department of radiology is fully dedicated to resident growth and education. With the Valleywise Health mission, “To provide exceptional care without exception to every patient, every time”, our goal is to turn out excellent, compassionate radiologists who will not only succeed on a professional level but also continue on as future educators.
The program has been granted full accreditations by the ACGME as of April 8, 2008. We are currently approved for 3 residents per each PGY level.
To provide exceptional and compassionate patient care, excellence in teaching, and high-quality research in an effective team-oriented environment.
The Radiology Residency Program at Valleywise Health Medical Center is the preeminent radiology training program in Arizona providing outstanding patient care focusing on the underserved, and committed to high-quality education, research, and mentoring current and future physicians.
We are dedicated to helping the underserved and being an invaluable resource for our community's health care needs. The Radiology Residency Program at Valleywise Health Medical Center has a strong educational environment with quality, dedicated teaching and faculty who love to teach and are good at it. Recent faculty hires this year for IR, Mammo, PEDS Radiology and Chest have allowed us to reinvent our rotations with a fresh approach and enthusiasm. We also have a large number of procedures and being a level-one trauma center have trauma and emergency opportunities for our residents to assess. This is unique and allows our residents to master their required procedures per the ACGME relatively early in their training compared to other programs and makes them well prepared for their future after residency. Our residents are also committed to expanding their level of knowledge by strong participation in research and quality improvement projects within our hospital, within our local health care community and universities and extending to national organizations.
- We foster a team-oriented environment that supports diversity, collaboration, and innovation.
- We provide outstanding service to patients and referring physicians, supporting quality patient care.
- We aim to enforce the practice of radiology, including participation in education, leadership, and business endeavors.
- We aim to protect education over service by maintaining a high-quality ratio with our learners, and teaching faculty, so their education is not compromised and they have generous one-on-one time with the faculty and the support to develop into successful and confident radiologists.
- Continuous improvement of education and scholarship. We are supportive in allowing our residents to teach students during rotations on site and at our teaching partner, University of Arizona COM in Phoenix, during labs and sessions. We strongly encourage everyone to present locally and nationally on scholarly projects. Our Academic Chair and Vice-Chair help support and mentor everyone’s academic pursuits. We have also expanded educational opportunities with access to more faculty, clinical experiences and resources by partnering with St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center under the sponsorship of Creighton University Arizona Health Education Alliance in Phoenix.