Coronavirus updates from Alliance partners

St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center

Barrow Innovation Center Combats National N95 Mask Shortage

The Innovation Center at Barrow has engineered a way to develop N95 substitute masks and other PPE prototypes, including face shields and general surgical masks, with the use of 3-D printing and silicone molding. The N95 substitute masks include a P100 filter, which allow them to be worn for up to three months if sanitized properly between patients.

The Innovation Center team is currently finalizing the prototype of the N95 substitutes so manufacturing can get started, said Michael Bohl, MD, a seventh-year neurosurgical resident at Barrow, who leads the Innovation Center team.

Barrow has shared the design templates and instructions online for others to produce similar PPE alternatives. The plans can be viewed at https://www.BarrowNeuro.org/N95.

Bashas’ Markets Opens Early for Health Care Workers

Bashas’ is opening its Arizona stores 30 minutes early every Tuesday and Thursday to accommodate health care workers and first responders. Show your Dignity Health identification badge at the door to access early shopping at all Bashas’ Supermarkets, Bashas’ Dine Markets, Food City, AJ’s Fine Foods, and Eddie’s Country Stores. Bashas’ is providing this service in gratitude to health care workers and first responders for their commitment to serving the public.

Valleywise Health
 

Peoria Health Center opening Delayed

Valleywise Health leaders have decided to postpone all scheduled Day in the Life activities at Valleywise Comprehensive Health Center – Peoria. This will ultimately impact the opening date for this facility and a revised timeline will be announced once finalized.

Current COVID-19 Cases (as of March 31)

  • Confirmed positive: 6 (VHMC), 1 (Behavioral Health)
  • Persons Under Investigation (PUI): 2 (VHMC), 19 (Behavioral Health)

Pop-Up Market

To help ease some of the stress of grocery shopping for employees, the cafeteria at Valleywise Health Medical Center will open a temporary Pop-Up Market with essential supplies for sale, such as bread, eggs, milk and canned food items. Sales start today (Wednesday, April 1).

Human Resources Update

Valleywise Health employees commuting to work are encouraged to keep their employee badge and driver’s license on hand in case they are asked to to show it to authorities as proof of being an essential worker. On March 31, Gov. Ducey issued a new executive order requiring Arizonans to “Stay Home, Stay Healthy, Stay Connected.” As the community’s public health system, Valleywise Health is deemed an essential business. For employees still working at a Valleywise Health location, continue traveling to your workplace during this time.

New Employee Orientation

Valleywise welcomes 50 new team members on Monday, April 6. They will be the second class to participated in the new, virtual New Employee Orientation.

Telemedicine Visits

Valleywise Health has completed a total of 1,529 telemedicine visits in six days. About 70% of the visits are telephonic, with the remaining 30% video visits.

Integrated Behavioral Health Services

As part of continuing to care for patients virtually and in-person, providers and clinical staff are encouraged to refer those in need to Integrated Behavioral Health Services. Employees and their families may also be eligible to receive services.

New PPE Appearance

With personal protective equipment (PPE) and other supplies being collected from various suppliers and sources, including donations from the Valleywise Health Foundation, be aware that supplies will come in various colors and looks.